Saturday, January 28, 2012

Baby Food Chef

Ok chef is a strong word. But it looks fancy so I went with it. Since the girls started eating baby food, we've noticed we're plowing through it. We're blessed enough to still get some baby food from WIC, but unfortunately the 130 jars we get from them each month didn't even last us half a month. We go through 8 jars a day. So after spending an additional $80 somethin dollars on baby food this month, I decided to start making it myself. I've planned on doing this all along. Unfortunately I'll still need to buy the protein foods in the store but I can go crazy with the fruits and veggies!

I found a great website with tutorials on making baby food. Definitely check it out if you're looking to save some money!


The total cost was $1.50 for these carrots. And it made 8 jars.



This amount would last us one day. It obviously doesn't go as far for our family but it's still a huge savings. The cost of 8 jars is about $7.00. So I'd say we're doing the right thing! It'll just be a lot of work. I'm going to try & set aside a day each week to make a week's worth of food. It's worth the work :)

1 comment:

The Triplett Family said...

Get some sweet potatoes. Those seem to make tons since they're so big. Plus, all babies seem to love them. In fact, who doesn't love sweet potatoes?!?! I also did applesauce quite a bit. When you run out of baby food containers put them in ice cube trays and freeze them. Then just pop out what you need and warm it up a little bit before serving. Good luck!