If there's one constant in our lives, it's that life will always throw you a curve ball when you're expecting Easy Street. We had a special event in our family that I'd like to share!
Kayson has had a hard time seeing for a while now, but nothing he complained much about. Just sitting too close to the tv and sometimes mentioning that he couldn't see something far away very well. After his kindergarten exam, we were told he might do well with a visit to the Ophthalmologist (how hard is THAT word to spell? Yes I did have to google it!). He was such a good sport during the eye exam until he had to get drops in his eyes. I hear ya buddy...I'm 31 and I STILL hate it.
But what WAS fun was getting to pick out some sweet glasses! He wasn't sure about all of this at first. As we sat there trying on glasses he was VERY quiet. I was worried that he was sad & scared but didn't know how to express it. We had some talks at home and he reassured me that he wasn't worried. A few days later he admitted he was afraid that kids would tease him at school.
These kind of things break a parent's heart. Obviously, we put on our tough and excited faces for our children and after all, we were thrilled that he was getting the help that he needed. But you can't help but worry about your child being teased in school. After doing some research on all this, I did stumble upon something I liked.
"There has also been some research that found that most school-age kids don’t believe that glasses make other kids less attractive or less athletic, only that they’re likely to think kids with glasses are more honest and smart. Of course this doesn’t mean your child will be immune from being teased about their glasses, but it sounds as though the unattractive, unathletic, nerd stereotype is perhaps fading."
This was comforting news for a mother. We've done our best to comfort him, excite him and be there for him through this new change. We're mostly concerned about him taking care of this expensive gear on his face! After all, we have a wrestling, break dancing, soccer playing fool on our hands! We're all very optimistic and we know how loved and wonderful Kayson is. He's a great friend and very popular in school because he's so kind and funny. And now he'll be an even better student than he already is! I know his hilarious and uplifting personality will shine through his awesome glasses even more! I just think he looks as handsome as can be. It's true what they say, all the cool kids wear glasses! I may have to get myself a pair, buddy...
1 comment:
He picked a good pair!
I've had glasses since I was six, and I remember getting teased a bit in elementary, but nothing that scarred me for life. He'll probably only break them once and then he'll learn how bad that sucks :)
Post a Comment