
Hold on tight, because I'm gonna be real for a minute.
Ya know how annoying it was growing up asking middle-aged women how old they were and always getting the same lame lie...29? When you know they've been 29 like 10 times? I never understood why they'd wanna lie when it was obvious what their real age was. What's the point, right? I'll tell you what's the point...DENIAL.
Yes, Denial and I have had an ugly relationship. We often pass each other on the street and find ways to avoid eachother by pretending to text on our cell phones or squint intently at someone the opposite direction as if to avoid any eye contact which would end in an ugly and possibly bloody confrontation. Yes. Denial. I'll say it one more time in case you missed it.
DENIAL
It's NOT that we don't know our age. It's not that we think OTHERS don't know our age. And it's not even that we CARE that others know our age. It's that you don't want to accept that the inner 21 yr old driving with the windows down, trendy shades over her eyes, sexy nailjob, girl jamming along to Blink 182 is merging into that age we all thought of as "our mom's age".
I'm not 30 yet. And boy can I wait until I get to type up THAT post. But for now, 29 is significant for me. I'm not one that isn't happy enough in my own body and life that I don't love myself or think I can be happy as I get "older". I'm just human. Life is passing me by. Youth is passing me by. Memories are getting more and more tucked away than before. And let's face it, it's easy to lose yourself in this world focused on youth. I just don't FEEL 29. And I guess that's silver lining, if you don't feel it then you're enjoying it!!
I TRULY believe my 30's are going to be better than my 20's. TRULY. But it doesn't make it any easier letting go of the younger me.
So...my goal this last year of my 20's is to complete 29 things/goals to seal away my 20's with a huge grin on my face. In hopes that when that dreaded 30 comes one year from now, I'll be dancing in my living room to the following song.
"Those wrinkles aint nothin to be scared of.
They're just a product of time and true love.
Some are gonna come and go, some are gonna come and stay,
Mom, you still look young. You're gonna be ok."
2 comments:
Here's to our thirties, and the fact that we don't have to make any of the same mistakes we did in our twenties!
I LOVE THIS POST! :) You pretty much summed it up for all of us I think! Happy Birthday!
Post a Comment