Thursday, May 9, 2013

Behold Patheticness


Ok so this is the saddest thing in the world. There's nothing quite as pathetic as a self portrait...in the car no less. But stick with me...I have a story.


Being a full time mom has taken a toll on me. I'm not saying I want you to cry me a frickin river or anything because there are millions of full time moms out there. But I'm going to play the Triplet Card right now. I apologize in advance. I hope that what I'm about to say, in no way offends anybody or leaves the impression that I am in any way ungrateful for my situation...my family. Because it couldn't be more wrong.
But my version of being a full time mom can often (at least over the winter months) mean that when you get in the car and run an errand with the window rolled down, the sun in your face and the music turned up, you feel the need to take a photo for your husband to tell him that you haven't felt this free and excited in a long time. TO RUN AN ERRAND PEOPLE!!! See, it's pathetic. I know this.
We have been boarded up with cabin fever for so many months now. It can be so much work to get out of the house with the girls. So much is involved...what transportation do I take? Stroller...wagon...leashes...? Some places are too difficult to tackle alone. Some places too expensive. Over all, most things are too much work and I end up feeling that staying home and playing in the back yard or coming up with something creative to play or make is much more worth the effort and doable for me. Not to mention it keeps my stress/anxiety at a reasonable level.
There was a moment last week where I realized that I literally had only left the house TWO times in the last 2 1/2 weeks. 
It sounds an awful lot like I'm complaining. What I'm really trying to get at is that being a mother has so many rewards but it's important that we do our best to not lose ourselves. To allow ourselves time to be the adults that we are. The adults we've grown into the last 30 years. We are suppose to grow...not get lost. It's hard to find "me" time or even get out with my kids as much as I would like to but it's something I'm working hard on because I've really begun to see the importance of it. We need to love ourselves and nurture ourselves. Not just indoors. It makes us better parents and better people.
I am so looking forward to the summer and making an effort to get us out of the house more. I have big plans for summer activities and will take any play date offer that comes my way! If you're one of my friends, don't hesitate to text me and remind me to get out of the house...I may need some friendly motivation, folks. For cryin out loud...I get excited to go to the store! 

1 comment:

Denise said...

Amen sister!! I have never been so excited to know someone who feels the same say I do. This mama (and multiples) business is hard work! All I can say is good for you for realizing you need the alone time while your girls are still little. It is something I realized sooo late and it's been a struggle to get a hold of. You're an awesome mama and take comfort in the fact that you're not alone! Love ya girl!!